“A society grows great when old men plant Trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.” –Greek Proverb

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Long Day of Games ...

Chronological Recap of The Story's Installments:
Monday  
"Mon Petit Miette" [Post-Tech Room Class]
Tuesday
"Dewey's Gone Fishing ..." [Dewey Readings]
Wednesday
"Lost in Thought ..." [Post-Dewey Readings Class]
"Lost in Thought (in Russia) ..." [Organize Online Life]
"Lost in Thought (Outside) ..." [Post-Organize Online Life Class]


The Cast of Characters from the Previous Installments:
Mr. G – history teacher, narrator
Leah (nee Stilman) – French teacher
Mrs. Filipovic - history teacher, "voice on the line," in Russia
Mrs. K – science teacher, Curator of the School Garden
Mr. Palapas – school carpenter
Sage – Mr. G’s daughter
Chantel – Mr. G’s wife
Male Students (in order of first appearance) – James, Hideki, Yuri, Manny, Amir
Female Students (in order of first appearance) – Ana, Sarita, Amara
International Student(s) – Yarina
James's Uncle – Matthew

***

It was the end of the school day.  My last Thursday class.  One more day ... That's all that I have left.  Just one day ...  So, why I am I typing field notes?  Does it matter? ... James is waiting.  Sage is waiting. Chantel is waiting ... 

Because I am a teacher!  My job, my responsibility, my love for it ... never ends ... If I have anything worthwhile left to teach, I might as well not stop now.  Someone might be able to decipher and use it.  Some historian.  Some teacher.  Who knows?  

What if Jeff and Rory never asked me to look at a game.  I might never have remembered "The Jamestown Online Adventure."  Had I not played it, had I not been in the MAC program, I might never have had the idea for the SPELLs.

 

I was still in my classroom, looking at the notes in my schedule for this past week, the last week of the school year for class and SPELLS (School-wide Performance-Based Exams and Learning Lessons), which read:

"Monday: (1) Technology, Agriculture, and Garden Movement Discussion, Outside (2) During Class: Out in the School Garden!  

"Tuesday: (1) Individual SPELLs: History and Science: Round 1: Student Presentations on Technology and Bodies of Water, Inside (Holographic) (2) Overfishing (3) Field Trip: Fishing Trip!   

"Wednesday: (1) Group/Class SPELLs: History and Science: Round 1: Technology, Agriculture, and Bodies of Water Project Culmination, Inside: Student Knowledge Exchange w/ Russian Students on Holographic (2) After School: Monthly Fellowship & Nature Excursion!

"Thursday: (1) Get Ready for the SPELLs, Round 2: Break Out into Groups for Games and Simulations, Inside (2) Visit James's Grave--"

My eyes started to water.  How long has it been since I visited my son's grave? ... I'll probably see you soon, James!

I wiped away the tears, and finished reading the notes in my schedule: 

"Thursday: (1) Get Ready for the SPELLs, Round 2: Break Out into Groups for Games and Simulations, Inside (2) Visit James's Grave! (3) Go Home! Spend Time with Sage and Chantel!

"Friday: (1) Team (Individual-Group) SPELLs: History and Science: Round 2: [Assessed by Outside Professional and Me], Morning Session (2) Free for Afternoon Session: Plant Tree w/ Sage, Chantel, and Leah in School Garden! (3) Finish Video for Sage! (Thank you, Randy Pausch, for your lecture!) (4) Final Preparations for Trip!"



I nodded, stood up, and began to get my things together so that I could go to the cemetery. I'll see you soon, J--

There was a knock-knock-knock at the French doors.  I looked up from my bag, at first surprised.  But then, a huge smile came to my face.

"Miss Miller!  Well, it's not 'Miss Miller' anymore, is it?"  I held up my hand, shook my head with a smile, and motioned Naomi in my direction.  "Never mind. This is a great surprise--"

Naomi smiled, and started to walk over to me.  "You called, Alex.  Remember?"

I started to walk toward her.  "I know.  I just didn't--Get over here and give me a hug!"

Just what I needed right now.

"Do you remember that time when I gave you a ride back to Scarlett and you walked with me from the parking lot on ... What was it? ... Hill Street! ... to Espresso Royale, I think, before heading to the Brandon Center instead of being dropped off closer to the Education building."

"Like it was yesterday, Mr. G--I mean, Alex.  You see.  I feel like I was transported back there."

"Well, would you mind following me in your car--Wait! Don't tell me that you biked here.  That would be one long ride."

"No, actually, I flew in, and had a friend give me a ride."

"Oh, okay. Um, there's someone I wish you'd--I mean, there's someone that I would like you to meet.  I was on my way somewhere, and I don't know what your plans are, but then I was going to go home and my wife and I were planning on having a nice home-cooked meal with Sage, my daughter.  I started cooking or preparing some of it last night.  You can help me and Sage to finish it, if you want, and you get to eat it, too!  And, we have some dolmas ... Sound good?  Oh, and Leah and her husband will be there, too."

"Yeah, I just saw her in the hall.  But, um, yeah, definitely, count me in.  I just need to call my friend."

2 comments:

  1. I love this for so many reasons. "My eyes started to water. How long has it been since I visited my son's grave? ... I'll probably see you soon, James!" Is it a coincidence that the James in your class has the same name as your deceased son and that his fathers name happens to be Matthew? If this is random, ignore it, but if it is intentional then I can see how fond you are of little matthew just from that. It really makes me smile to picture Matt growing up and reading your blog and thinking about his influence on your life because I know your influence on his life will be so large. Additionally, I smile when I think about you still calling us "Ms. ____" when we are married. Probably because I really think you will. I am extremely curious as to whom Naomi and I are married to and hope it will appear in a later blog!! ALso you capture our personalities so well in your blog that I just wanted to let you know that I noticed haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, reading through Leah's comment I feel like I'm missing out by not being in the ELA section! I might have to take a look at this game to figure out how you came up with SPELLs. I also loved this, "Do you remember that time when I gave you a ride back to Scarlett and you walked with me from the parking lot on ... What was it? ... Hill Street! ... to Espresso Royale, I think, before heading to the Brandon Center instead of being dropped off closer to the Education building."

    "Like it was yesterday, Mr. G"

    I imagine that it was yesterday when you wrote it. :D It made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete