“A society grows great when old men plant Trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.” –Greek Proverb

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Dewey's Gone Fishing ...

Many thanks for coming to my blog and taking the time to read my story. (If you missed the first installment, read my previous post, as well ... if you want.) After you finish, please comment on which ideas from our Dewey readings you believe were illustrated in this story?  And, if you want, what ideas/concepts from other classes?

"Hey, Leah--I mean, Miss Stilman ..."

"It isn't 'Miss Stilman' anymore."

"I know, I know.  I've just been reflecting a lot on the past recently.  I mean, beyond the fact that I am a history teacher."

Leah shoved me away with her arm and a big smile, and said, "'It was great seeing Sage.  I can't believe how big she's getting!"

I just shook my head and smiled. "Yeah, right?!"

Ana walked into the room.  For once, another student had beaten James to the room.  And, a second later, in came James, stunned that someone other than me would be here before him.  That look on his face of utter shock: priceless!

Ana glanced at him quickly, then away and down at her media screen, with a little smirk curling up at the corners of her mouth.

I suppressed a guffaw, which turned out to sound a bit like a sneeze.

James, the shock still there but waning, his lower lip still slightly lolled, looked at me quickly, and said, "Bless you, Mr. G."  Finally coming to the sobering realization that he was not the first in class today, he collected his thoughts and looked at the "DO NOW," which read: "Before we begin today's lesson, let us remind ourselves what we did and discussed yesterday.  Take five minutes to type your thoughts.  After that, we'll take some time so that you can share your presentations on the holographic, and relate yesterday's lesson to today's." 

"Ahem." I shook my head a bit. "Thanks, James."

"What?" Leah shoved me a little less hard this time, and more inconspicuously so as not to attract the attention of Ana and James.  Then, she whispered, "Mr. Griffiths, if I didn't know better, that was a stifled laugh."

The other students started to enter the room.  With a smile I said, "I'll tell you later 'Miss Stilman.'"  Then, with a more serious face, I whispered, "There's something else I need to tell you." I paused. "It's important."

Leah didn't miss a beat, and with another inviting smile, exclaimed, "Well, then, Mr. Griffiths, I will see you later!"

"I look forward to it!"

"Tell Sage that her Auntie Leah says 'Hello.'"

"Will do,"  I replied, and waved with a smile as Leah walked out the French doors.

Yuri stopped typing and asked, "Mr. G, I just realized--I mean, I never realized that teachers could be ... friends?"

"Well, Yuri.  Yes, they can be."

"Huh. Interesting," Yuri added, before continuing to type.

* * *

"Is everyone ready to discuss yesterday's lesson?"

Sarita raised her hand, made eye contact with me, and asked, "Thirty seconds, please, Mr. G?" while still typing with the other hand.

"Okay, Sarita."  She didn't even miss a beat!  Thinking, typing, looking, interrogating, all at the same time.  Kids today ...

"Thanks, Mr. G, I'm ready."

"Then, before we begin our second lesson about technology, can someone tell me about yesterday's lesson?"

James answered first: "We discussed agriculture as technology, while gardening."

"Yeah, I liked going outside for class," Manny added. "My grandma was a migrant worker.  You know, the ones that we were talking about yesterday.  My parents don't speak much Spanish, but my grandma is starting to teach me.  I call her 'Mi Abuelita' now."

"Thanks for sharing, Manny.  And thanks for the idea of talking about agriculture outside in the garden. Great idea!"

"No problema, Senor G.  That's more Spanish, everyone."

"Yeah, that was pretty cool yesterday," Hideki added.  "My grandmother came over last night and I told her what we did, and she was SOOOOO happy!  She likes to garden, too.  I was asking her about it, and she said that her grandmother used to garden with her grandmother out in California, but it also brought back some memories about when she was in some camp.  I think she called it a concertation camp--"

"That's 'concentration' camp."  

"Yeah, right, right.  That's what she called it.  Concentration camp."

"Concentration camps will be part of class discussion next semester.  So, if you're wondering what  a concentration camp was, you can ask your grandmother or wait until next semester.  Manny and Hideki, thanks for sharing.  Let's return now to yesterday's discussion. Who else remembers what we discussed yesterday?"

Ana responded, "Here's what I have written Mr. G: 'We discussed three-sister-crop system among some in-di-ge-nous Americans.'  Did I pronounce that right?"  I nodded, and she continued: "We talked about differences of geography and systems of agriculture in Colonial America.  I also have John Deere's steel plow, the Populist movement of farmers--"

"Okay, thank you, Ana.  Let's hear from someone else."

"Mr. G, I also have the following: 'The Great Depression, Dust Bowl, and farmers pouring milk out in the streets.'  I can't believe people would do that when other people were on lines and starving in city streets."  Amir added, "I also have 'Cezar Chavez and migrant workers,' which Manny mentioned today. 'Agribusiness. And ... the Garden Movement of community gardens and school gardens,' which started about five years ago."

"Good.  And, can someone else remind us how we finished class?"

James gave Amara, who just came here from West Africa two years ago, a nudge and a smile.

A very shy girl in class, Amara took a deep breath, and said, "We made a salad from the school garden."

"Indeed, we did.  Thanks, Amara!"

Amara allowed a small smile.  Yes!  I knew you could do it! And, such a beautiful smile, Amara--just like yesterday.  Thanks, James.  I'll have to call your parents later, and let them know about that.  What a fine young man you are!

"Good, everyone.  So, to summarize, we talked about agriculture as technology, yesterday.  We discussed technologies--and, well, geography--that could impact agriculture.  We explored how agriculture and related technologies have impacted the United States economy, government, and social interactions throughout our nation's history.  And, last, we made all of that relevant to how agriculture affects us--me and you and our state and our whole country--today."

"Mr. G?"

"Yes, Amara."  There was a moment of silence.  No, Amara. Please! Don't give up! You took such an interest in yesterday's gardening.  You were like a sponge, soaking up Mrs. K's instructions.  Actually, now that I think about it, it was more like you had anticipated her instructions.  Interesting. 

She continued, "My village ... my family was very poor back in Africa, but ... before my mother died ... we used to garden together.  And, I think that ... I want to become a chef and a gardener and I want to ... help feed people."

Wow! Where did that come from?  That was ... GREAT!

"Well, Amara.  After all of our presentations on the history of sailing, maritime trades and technology, invasive species, and overfishing, we ... are ... " I made eye contact with each student, paused for dramatic effect, and then finished my sentence: "We're going fishing!"   

James's face lit up. "Yes!  I've gone fishing with my uncle millions of times!"  James, who's often serious, checked himself: "Well, okay, maybe not millions."  Then, he looked over at Amara and smiled, who smiled back at him.

Hideki, sitting next to me, had an epiphany, which he uttered to himself: "That's why we have a half-day of classes today."  He continued: "Wait.  Mr. G, is that the big surprise our other teachers were talking about?  Will they be there, too?"

"Indeed, they will, Hideki.  Has anyone ever eaten fish before?"  A cacophony of yes's.  "Has anyone ever cooked fish before?"  One yes: Amara's. And, James smiled. "Well, then, if we have some keepers, all of you can assist me with cooking and eating the fish."

"What's a keeper, Mr. G?" Amir asked.

"I can answer that Mr. G."

"Go ahead, James."

"A keeper means that, by law, you can keep the fish that you caught.  It's large enough to keep.  Otherwise, it's too small, and we would be overfishing, right, Mr. G?"

"Yes. Thanks, James."

"Okay, everyone.  Arrange the settings on your media screens so that you can all operate the holographic for your presentation when it's your turn.   Ana, we'll start with your presentation in a minute or two."

"Okay, Mr G."  

And, thanks, Amara!  That smile just brightened up my day.  But ... I still need to talk to Leah.  Chantel's going to need help with Sage when--Let me not think about that now.

"I'm ready Mr. G."

"Okay, everyone. Take notes and save your questions until the end of all presentations."

3 comments:

  1. Wow, are you sure you're not actually a future creative writing teacher in disguise?? Such a cool idea for your blog... I like how you're showing yourself teaching for sustainability, and giving examples of what that would look like in a classroom setting.
    It's also funny to reflect on the idea of teachers being friends, now that we're starting to experience some of that dynamic for ourselves at Scarlett. In a way, I think that's a good vibe to give to the students, to see all of their teachers/interns getting along and collaborating with each other. It sets a good tone for the rest of the school, makes for a more positive learning environment, and speaking from the tiny bit of experience I've had so far, makes these long days much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, love this post! I have to because I am a character who I happen to like so far. Additionally, way to put a cliffhanger in there!! I really want to know what you have to tell me and I am extremely curious to find out my new last name! On a more serious note, I think telling this story is a great way to incorporate ideas from class. I noticed you teaching for sustainability, which is not from the Dewey reading specifically but still important. From Dewey's perspective, I think you did a good job making the school seem like a community. Students can see that teachers are friends and feel that they are a part of one big family. Additionally, I think that Dewey would agree that you tried to tie students lives right now into what you are learning in school which connects it to their lives and makes it education for the present not just for the future. For example, you have "we made all of that relevant to how agriculture affects us--me and you and our state and our whole country--today." which emphasizes that value of TODAY. But a few lines later, we also realize the benefit for the future when a student expresses his plans to help feed others. Love it and can not wait for the next installment! Hope I captured some of the Dewey responses you were looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting around to reading your blog in its entirety! This will be an exciting 30 or so minutes. Also look at you making me Talk to the Text... Grrr. :D Found that you called the parents to get them involved. Good good.. Found that you engaged select students in the gardening. Good good. You also incorporated two blogs into one. I noticed you talked about the Tech-babies into this one as well. Off to the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete